Director: Communication and Public Relations
ACCOUNTABLE TO: PLC BOARD VIA THE CHAIRMAN
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY
The Director Communications and Public Relations will be responsible to the PLC Board via the Chairman. He/she has the lead developmental and policy role on the Board for these activities. Working as one of the Directors within the new PLC structure, the individual concerned will take responsibility for supporting the Board and the management team to optimize communications and public relations of the West Somerset Railway PLC both internally and externally, provide a policy focus and coordinate activities to secure greater and sustainable communications and public relations across the WSR on behalf of the PLC. The person appointed will work closely with the Chairman and the Board, General Manager and Head of Commercial Services in this regard.
This is a voluntary role undertaken initially in a hybrid management role and then subsequently in a non-executive capacity within the new corporate structure being designed and implemented across the PLC and is in addition to the corporate board responsibilities of a PLC Director.
- To take the lead on the communications and public relations work at Board level on behalf of the PLC working closely with the Chairman and General Manager.
- To chair the Communications and Public Relations Group of the PLC working in partnership with similar activities in the wider railway family across the WSR.
- To take responsibility for review/development of policies and procedures assigned to the Communications and Public Relations Group by the Policies and Procedures Group. To work with the management team to secure their implementation.
- To prepare the monthly Briefing from the Board for the PLC internal magazine Online. To oversee a review the content and effectiveness of Online in collaboration with the Head of Commercial Services and Director-Marketing and Inward Investment.
- To coordinate a review of PLC effective use of social networking and social media and to make recommendations to the Board. To oversee implementation of any agreed changes.
- In line with the Corporate Plan to coordinate the development of a communications and public relations strategy for the PLC, working with partner bodies on the WSR as necessary.
- To coordinate all press releases on behalf of the PLC and to work with the Commercial Services team on the development of effective relationships with local general media and especially its national railway press.
- Working with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Company Secretary and Director [Strategy, Planning and Partnerships], to coordinate the annual schedule and content of the stakeholder meetings.
As a member of the Board, the Director Communications and Public Relations will be expected to fulfil the statutory duties of a PLC Director which include:
Back to Profiles
- To ensure that WSR PLC complies with its governing document, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that WSR PLC pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure WSR PLC uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the company must not spend money on activities, which are not included in its own objects or corporate plan, no matter how worthwhile those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the Board's role in giving firm strategic direction to WSR PLC, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the financial stability of WSR PLC.
- To protect and manage the property of the company and to ensure the proper investment of the company's funds.