Director: Information Technology
ACCOUNTABLE TO: PLC BOARD VIA THE CHAIRMAN
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY
The Director Information Technology will be responsible to the PLC Board via of the Chairman. He/she has the lead developmental and policy role on the Board for this activity. Working as one of the Directors within the new PLC structure, the individual concerned will take responsibility for supporting the Board and the management team in optimizing the use and application of Information Technology across the West Somerset Railway. The person appointed will also work closely the other organizations that make up the WSR railway family to, where possible, encourage the integration and development of common platforms to support the business, heritage and preservation aims across the West Somerset Railway.
This is a voluntary role undertaken initially in a hybrid management and then subsequently in a non-executive capacity within the new corporate structure being designed and implemented across the PLC and is in addition to the corporate board responsibilities of a PLC Director.
- To lead the PLC policy work at Board level and with the management team on the implementation of the agreed IT strategy. This will require an implementation plan, project management, and timetable arrangements and be coordinated and delivered through the management team. To identify the necessary Responsible Officers within the management team tasked with implementation and ongoing management and to agree roles with the General Manager and the individuals concerned.
- To prepare the staff training and development programmes required to ensure that all staff is conversant with new IT systems, processes and software and to oversee implementation through the management team.
- To establish and chair a coordinating group to design and deliver the implementation plan. This group will report through Operational Executive Committee.
- To design and obtain Board approval to, a phased procurement process for the necessary hardware and software working within budgets agreed by OEC and the Board. To oversee and lead the required tendering and appointment of preferred supplier processes.
- To ensure that all IT equipment and systems are properly recorded in the PLC Asset Register and that appropriate maintenance and repair contracts are in place within agreed budgets.
- Through the coordinating group and OEC, to ensure that appropriate contingency plans are in place in the event of IT system problems such as to deliver business continuity for the PLC.
- To identify and then secure the appropriate professional IT support on an ongoing basis either in a voluntary or paid capacity, to make proposals to OEC.
- Through the coordinating group, to identify all the required new applications for use and introduction across the PLC in line with the objectives of the IT strategy.
- To liaise with other lead Directors as appropriate around the IT implications and requirements of their respective portfolios.
- To provide regular updates to the Board on progress and relevant wider IT developments as required.
As a member of the Board, the Director Inward Investment will be expected to fulfil the statutory duties of a PLC Director which include:
Back to Profiles
- To ensure that WSR PLC complies with its governing document, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that WSR PLC pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure WSR PLC uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the company must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects or corporate plan, no matter how worthwhile those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the Board's role in giving firm strategic direction to WSR PLC, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the financial stability of WSR PLC.
- To protect and manage the property of the company and to ensure the proper investment of the company's funds.