ACCOUNTABLE TO: PLC BOARD VIA THE CHAIRMAN
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY
The Director Marketing will be responsible to the PLC Board via of the Chairman. He/she has the lead developmental and policy role on the Board for these activities. Working as one of the Directors within the new PLC structure, the individual concerned will take responsibility for supporting the Board and the management team to optimize the marketing of the West Somerset Railway, provide a policy focus, and coordinate activities to secure greater and sustainable knowledge of and responsiveness to WSR on behalf of the PLC. The person appointed will work closely with the Head of Commercial Services in respect of the marketing role.
This is a voluntary role undertaken initially in a hybrid management role and then subsequently in a non-executive capacity within the new corporate structure being designed and implemented across the PLC and is in addition to the corporate board responsibilities of a PLC Director.
- Working with the Head of Commercial Services, to advise the Board on all aspects of marketing the WSR PLC in terms of commercial, heritage and preservation activities and to ensure that the management team have a clear marketing plan, which is developed and implemented as part of the business planning cycle of the PLC.
- To work with the Head of Commercial Services and team together with the General Manager to develop, agree and implement a marketing strategy in line with the objectives of the PLC Corporate Plan.
- To establish effective relationships with external tourism and leisure bodies at Board level such as to ensure that the WSR is part of an integrated system that promotes sustained interest in the activities of the PLC and the wider railway family.
- To liaise with the organizations that make up the wider railway family around the WSR to coordinate marketing activities, innovation and initiatives at Board/committee/Trustee level such as to ensure a joined up approach to promoting the railway.
- To work with the relevant local authorities to explore and optimize the opportunities arising from their work and responsibilities around economic development, tourism, and leisure and to coordinate partnership work where required in pursuit of WSR commercial objectives.
- To establish effective working relationships with other heritage and preservation railways to learn from their experience and success and to identify potential for application across the WSR.
- To work with the key bodies on the national rail network [Train Operating Companies, Charter companies, Network Rail and others] to establish strategic opportunities for shared marketing that can then be taken forward by the Commercial Services team and other WSR departments.
Back to Profiles
- As a member of the Board, the Director Marketing and Inward Investment will be expected to fulfil the statutory duties of a PLC Director which include:
- To ensure that WSR PLC complies with its governing document, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that WSR PLC pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure WSR PLC uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the company must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects or corporate plan, no matter how worthwhile those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the Board's role in giving firm strategic direction to WSR PLC, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the financial stability of WSR PLC.
- To protect and manage the property of the company and to ensure the proper investment of the company's funds.