Director: Safety Audit
ACCOUNTABLE TO: PLC BOARD
RESPONSIBLE TO: CHAIRMAN, PLC
The Director, SafetyAudit will be accountable to the Chairman of the PLC and the Board. Working closely with the Operational Executive Committee, the General Manager as Responsible Officer, management team and other Directors, the individual concerned will take particular Board level leadership and responsibility for ensuring that the Company appropriately develops and then carries out the necessary oversight and assurance functions in relation to safety audit. He/she will support and advise the Board on all pertaining to safety audit.
This is a voluntary role undertaken initially in a hybrid management role and then subsequently in a non-executive capacity within the new corporate structure being designed and implemented across the PLC and is in addition to the corporate board responsibilities of a PLC Director.
- To be the Chairman of the Safety Audit Committee and the exercise of its functions in-line with the terms of reference for the Committee.
- Through the Safety Audit Committee, audit the work on safety undertaken by OEC, RO and the management team particularly in relation to the implementation and effectiveness of the safety improvement plan.
- Through SAC, OEC, RO., and the management team, oversee the continuous improvement in effective WSR PLC safety management systems and practices that ensure that risks are dealt with sensibly, responsibly and proportionately.
- Through SAC, OEC and RO ensure that there are arrangements in place for monitoring safety systems that provide the necessary assurance and oversight and enable the Board to receive specific [incident led] and routine reports on safety performance.
- Hold the RO and management team to account for the implementation of any external reviews, regulatory compliance, or legal requirements via OEC. Through SAC to provide regular reports to the Board on implementation.
- Through SAC, to review the competency capacity for safety management within the PLC and, in conjunction with the management team, to make recommendations to the Board on a continuous basis.
- Using SAC, to provide the assurance and oversight on safety performance to the Board. To ensure that the Board is properly advised on key safety performance indicators and their application.
- To advise the Board on whether the essential health and safety principles have been embedded in the organization and that they are effective in managing safety risk and protecting people.
- To develop the necessary relationships with regulators and supporting bodies including ORR, HRA, and HSE. Where practical, to advise the Board on any changes/advice emerging which will require changes to the approach to safety audit.
- To support the Board in identifying the training and development requirements of individuals and groups across the PLC [including Board] and for leading the preparation of effective mechanisms to improve and enhance collective understanding of the application and delivery of good safety systems and effective risk management.
As a member of the Board, the individual appointed will be expected to fulfil the statutory duties of a PLC Director which include:
Back to Profiles
- To ensure that WSR PLC complies with its governing document, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that WSR PLC pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure WSR PLC uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the company must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects or corporate plan, no matter how worthwhile those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the Board's role in giving firm strategic direction to WSR PLC, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of WSR PLC.
- To ensure the financial stability of WSR PLC.
- To protect and manage the property of the company and to ensure the proper investment of the company's funds.