West Somerset Railway
Ian Brodie

CLASS 47 No. D1661 "NORTH STAR"

A total of 512 class 47s were built at Crewe Works and Brush's Falcon works in Loughborough between 1962 and 1968. These Brush Type 4’s have done the lot from the prestige passenger turns to the big mineral hauls and with the 50th Anniversary of the Class only a year away some are still finding gainful work on the national network. D1661 was one of the first of the Class to be allocated to the Western Region and the name it was given was from Great Western tradition (the first "North Star” was the best steam engine the GWR had when it opened in 1837 and a replica can be seen in STEAM Museum in Swindon). D1661 finished its main line career as number 47840, fitted with long range fuel tanks for cross country and other diagrams that took them around the UK. It was presented to the care of the DEPG after withdrawal from mainline work.