West Somerset Railway

LMS 4F 0-6-0 No 44422

The first 4F’s were built by the Midland Railway in 1911 and batches kept on being produced by the London Midland and Scottish until 1941 by which time there were no less than 771 in service including 5 originally built for the Somerset and Dorset. 44422 was not one of these, emerging from Derby Works in 1927, but spent a number of years allocated to Templecombe. It was withdrawn by B.R. in 1965. Mainly intended for freight work they could also be found on stopping and excursion passenger trains whilst on the Somerset and Dorset they would crop up on mainline passenger work. The latter could be very hard work for the crews trying to keep up enough steam and finding limitations also in the machines’ ability to coast on easier sections of line while steam pressure was recovered. It is owned by the 44422 Locomotive Company Limited and is coming to the WSR for a twenty year hire period.