Dunster by Candlelight sees the medieval village turn its back on the present and lights it's streets with soft candles. The atmosphere is both traditional and exciting, truly an event for all ages. Travel in style with the West Somerset Railway and avoid all the stress of parking.
The official Dunster by Candlelight event page can be found here
All trains depart from Bishops Lydeard station only and stop at Dunster and Minehead Station only. Those alighting at Dunster are advised to bring a torch for the 15-20 minute walk to the village.
People with walking difficulties are advised to alight at Minehead where a bus (provided by the festival organisers but included in your ticket price) will transport you to the edge of Dunster. The bus will bring you back to Minehead station to connect with your return train journey. Please allow at least 30 minutes to catch a bus back to the WSR as there may be queues for the buses.
We have a limited number of Fish and Chips seats available as part of our 17:00 service on Friday 6th December and the 16.35 service on Saturday 7th December only.
We also have a separate Quantock Belle Dining train running to this event.
Dogs are permitted on the Dunster by Candlelight services in the travel only carriages, but you must purchase a £2.50 dog ticket for them to travel. They must be kept on a lead at all times, must not travel on the seats on the train or in the buffet car and are not permitted in the carriages where Fish and Chips are being served. Dogs are permitted on the bus from Minehead. Dogs are not permitted on the Quantock Belle.
Children under 3 may travel on the non-fish and chip services for free, with the purchase on an infants ticket. If your under 3 year old takes up a seat on the fish and chip service, they must have a child's ticket.
Multiple Events are in this category
Prices for this event could vary from day to day, click the links above to see prices for your chosen date.
Terms and Conditions
Please note that you must return on your specified return train, we are unable to accomodate you on other services.
16.30 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead ticket holders must return on the train from Minehead at 20.30 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard or 20.45 from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back at Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 21.50
17.00 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead. Your return train from Minehead will be at 21.15 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard or 21.23 from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back in Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 22.33
15.35 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead. Your return train from Minehead will be at 20.30 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back in Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 21.50
16.35 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead. Your return train from Minehead will be at 21.15 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back in Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 22.33
You have the option of either alighting the service at Dunster and walking up into the village, however please note that part of this walk will be down a country lane which is poorly lit we therefore advise you bring a torch. Or you can continue on to Minehead where connection buses will be available. Please ensure if catching the bus connection that you allow plenty of time to catch the bus connection back to the station in time for your departing train service.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF TICKET PURCHASE
YOUR COMMITMENT TO US
When you confirm your purchase, you are accepting that these terms and conditions form the basis of any contract between West Somerset Railway PLC and yourself.
No contract exists between you and West Somerset Railway PLC for the sale of any tickets until we have received and accepted your order and received payment in full. Once cleared funds are received, there is a binding contract between us.
The description and price of tickets you order will be shown on West Somerset Railway PLC website at the time you place your order. Prices are in UK Sterling and inclusive of any applicable taxes there are no surcharges whatsoever. Once you have paid, we will not increase the price of your tickets.
Prices displayed on the site are subject to change without notice. We accept most major credit and debit cards in partnership with our payment gateway.
To ensure that your online shopping experience is secure, your credit / debit card details will be encrypted on a secure server to minimize the possibility of someone being able to read them as they are sent over the Internet.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
West Somerset Railway PLC total liability for in contract, tort (including negligence or breach of statutory duty), misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise, arising in connection with the performance or contemplated performance of this agreement shall be limited to the price paid for the goods.
The limitation on any exclusion from liability contained in these conditions shall be subject to the provisions of second 2(1) of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.
West Somerset Railway PLC will not be liable in any amount for failure to perform any obligation under this agreement if such failure is caused by the occurrence of any unseen event beyond its reasonable control including without limitation Internet and Communication outages, fire, flood, war, act of God or Mechanical Breakdown.
LATE RUNNING SERVICES
Please ensure when using a pay and display car park to travel on the West Somerset Railway, that you purchase ample parking hours, taking into consideration that it is possible for services to run late. The West Somerset Railway will not be held accountable for any parking penalties issued.
If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck out and the remaining provisions shall remain in force.
REFUNDS & CANCELLATIONS
Unfortunately we cannot issue any refunds for cancellations.
Once purchased on-line tickets may not be used in conjunction with any other offer. No ticket may be resold. We reserve the right to refuse entry to late arrivals.
Any discounts or offers on-line are available for limited quantities and periods only and shall not be available on bookings made by phone or in person.
Please bring along your email print out.
Prices are correct at time of going to press and are subject to change without notification.
TICKET TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Please note that the West Somerset Railway reserve teh right to cancle services if we do not reach the number of passengers required to run the the service. In this instance you will be contacted and offered an alternative time or date.
- This ticket is issued subject to the Rules and Regulations of the West Somerset Railway PLC. Full details are available on request.
- Please check your tickets as mistakes cannot be rectified.
- It is the responsibility of the ticket holder to ascertain whether a service has been cancelled and the date and time of any rearranged service. If a service is cancelled or rescheduled, we will use reasonable endeavours to notify ticket holders of the cancellation once we have received the relevant authorisation from the West Somerset Railway PLC. Please note that we cannot guarantee that ticket holders will be informed of such cancellation before the date of travel.
- The management reserves the right to refuse admission should patrons breach any Rules and Regulations of the West Somerset Railway PLC. The management may on occasions have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
- A £5 administration fee per booking will be charged for any subsequent booking alteration. No refunds will be given once tickets are issued. The Management cannot be held responsible for any tickets which are lost or stolen. West Somerset Railway PLC reserves the right to cancel ticket bookings which it reasonably suspects to have been made fraudulently.
- The West Somerset Railway PLC operates a No Smoking policy this includes e-cigarettes.
- The unauthorized use of photographic and recording equipment for public use is prohibited.
- The West Somerset Railway PLC accepts no responsibility for any personal property.
- Ticket holders consent to filming and sound recording as visitors.
- If a service is rescheduled, ticket holders will be offered tickets to the rescheduled service, equivalent to the face value of the ticket. If a service is cancelled, ticket holders will be offered travel on an alternative service (subject to availability) up to the value on the ticket.
- Purchase of a ticket does not guarantee a seat unless otherwise stated.
- All of these terms and conditions are governed by English Law.
- The ticket holder must comply with all relevant statutes, safety announcements and West Somerset Railway PLC regulations whilst visiting the railway.
- Breach of any of these conditions or any unacceptable behaviour likely to cause damage, nuisance or injury shall enable the railway to refuse to carry you as a passenger.
- Tickets may be restricted to a maximum number per person. We reserve the right to cancel tickets purchased in excess of this number.
- We may be unable to offer you an alternative service if you are late for a service or turn up to the wrong station.
CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE FOR BICYCLES, PERAMBULATORS AND ANIMALS - CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE - PART 2, SECTION 4 4.
Additional Conditions applicable to Bicycles, Perambulators and Animals
- Passengers may take with them by train, bicycles, perambulators, push chairs, cats, dogs, or other small and inoffensive animals and birds and such articles as the Company may from time to time permit to be taken on payment of extra charges as applicable and providing the Company has suitable accommodation. These are carried at the company’s discretion and their decision is final.
- Animals are not allowed upon passenger's seating accommodation
- For reasons of hygiene, animals are not allowed in catering vehicles. This condition will not apply to assistance dogs accompanying registered persons..
Quantock Belle Dunster By Candlelight
TIMINGS FOR THE DUNSTER BY CANDLELIGHT
The timings for the dunster by candlelight are below. You must travel on your allocated return train.
16.30 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead ticket holders must return on the train from Minehead at 20.30 from Minehead or 20.45 from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 21.50
17.00 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead ticket holders must return on the train from Minehead will be at 21.15 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard or 21.23 from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back in Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 22.33.
17.20 Quantock Belle service will leave from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead ticket holders must return on the train from Minehead at 21.15 from Minehead or 21.23 from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 21.50
15.35 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead ticket holders must return on the train from Minehead will be at 20.30 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard or 20.38 from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back in Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 21.50
16.35 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead ticket holders must return on the train from Minehead will be at 21.15 from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard or 21.38 from Dunster to Bishops Lydeard. Your arrival time back in Bishops Lydeard will be approximately 22.33
You may alight at Dunster and walk up to the village or continue on to Minehead and catch the bus from the station.