West Somerset Railway
The Railway Station
Tel: (+44) 01643 704 996
1. Visit the gauge museum and model railway at Bishops Lydeard. Tea and refreshments in the station café. New displays and friendly guides.
2. Home made cakes at Crowcombe Heathfield. Stand on the platform that Ringo Starr rode his bicycle on in A Hard Day’s Night. Soak up the peace of a Somerset country station.
3. Enjoy a cream tea at Stogumber, or bring your own picnic.
4. Watch the trains pass at Williton and take a close look at this unique collection of Bristol & Exeter Railway buildings. Small café on the station. The Railway Inn, five minutes walk.
5. Visit the Boat Museum and the Town Museum at Watchet, stroll round the harbour; wide choice of cafes and pubs.
6. Walk along the old mineral line from Watchet to Washford (2.5 mls) and refresh yourself afterwards at The Washford Inn.
7. See the Somerset & Dorset Railway Museum at Washford, visit the recreated Midford signal box, or use this as the base for visiting Cleeve Abbey (0.5 ml).
8. Stroll along the beach at Blue Anchor and enjoy fresh fish and chips in the Driftwood Café
9. Visit Dunster Castle and the village where there are more tea shops than any other station on the line! Drop into St George’s church and see the magnificent mediaeval rood screen – the longest in England.
10. Visit Minehead’s best second hand bookshop, Readers Halt at Minehead station, play crazy golf in the Jubilee Gardens and enjoy local Styles ice cream on the seafront.